This course introduces the key concepts, definitions and methodologies for conflict analysis and conflict transformation as defined in the Islamic tradition. It provides participants with the vocabulary and tools for effecting comprehensive and culturally-sensitive conflict analysis as well as practical skills in approaches to conflict transformation in the Muslim-majority world. Using case studies from the MENA, Sahel and Europe regions, it presents participants with methodologies such as the "safe mediation space" and "culturally-balanced mediation." The course also develops practical skills in culturally-sensitive conflict analysis using real-world cases.
The aim of this training course is to equip participants with:
• Foundational knowledge of conflict transformation in the Islamic tradition;
• Peace, violence and conflict transformation terminology in the Islamic tradition;
• Applied skills in culturally-sensitive conflict analysis;
• Specialised knowledge of culturally-sensitive approaches to conflict transformation;
• Practical ideas for culturally-appropriate approaches to conflict transformation.
Researchers and/or professionals who are interested in conflict transformation in the Muslim-majority world and related areas, who wish to expand their knowledge and skills in theoretical and practical approaches to culturally-sensitive conflict analysis and approaches to transforming conflict.
This training course includes expert input, case studies, group-work, group discussions and practitioner Q&A.
Course length: 1 day
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Tuition fee: 350 CHF
Course size: 10-20 participants